School Outreach Committee
The School Outreach Committee works to share project and campaign ideas about energy, conservation and environmental concern with each school community in the City. We meet during the school year in members' homes to share successful green projects and best practice ideas. We support one another in person and online to create change in our school communities by leading and through student empowerment.
We are an ever-growing, self-appointed (open) group of parents and school staff who are part of their school's Green Team or are interested in starting Green activities in their schools.
Project Themes and Examples
- Classroom and Cafeteria recycling
- Zero Waste Days and Green Wednesdays
- Classroom and Cafeteria composting
- Walk and Bike to School
- Catalog Reduction Challenge
- Crayon Recycling
- 5th Grade Energy Teams
- Terracycle Juice Pouch Recycling
- Recycling and Minimizing Trash at PTO Events
- Fundraising through selling zero waste items
Green Classrooms and Gardens:
- Collaboration with Newton Community Farms
- Collaboration with Whitson’s Food Service
- Outdoor learning environments
- School garden planning, planting and teaching
- 5th Grade Leadership Opportunities
- Kids Take Action / BOOYA
- 5th Graders as Classroom Educators / Detectives
- Green Artists
- Groovy Green Fashion Show
Liaisons are not responsible for implementing such projects—unless they want to. The role of the liaison is to spread the word and connect with others who would like to develop these types of projects in their schools.
|Elementary School||Liaison||Liaison email|
|Horace Mann||Alison Wilsonemail@example.com|
|Memorial Spaulding||Jodi Vitofirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Underwood||Mark Fine (maybe)||email@example.com|
|Williams||Dana Lanciloti (maybe)||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Middle School||Liaison||Liason email|
Henry (Chaffe) Toulmin
|F. A. Day||Sandy Chaet||Sandy_chaet@newton.k12.ma.us|
Students for a Greener World Margaret Ford: email@example.com
For more information, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Volunteer opportunities with the School Outreach Committee.