Green Gift Ideas from the Green Decade/Newton
- $25 Individual/Family
- $10 Student
- $50 Business
- Includes the Green Decade membership card, discounts on Green Decade activities, environmentally friendly items & products at participating businesses, plus the Green News mailed to your home/office or on-line.
Green Decade T-shirt $15
- Organic cotton 100%
- "Respect Your Mother" image on front
- "greendecade.org" on back
- Short-sleeve with crew-neck style
- Adult sizes S-M-L
Looking for the perfect environmental gift for friends and family? Our beautifully green EcoBaskets are wrapped in cellophane, a plant-based biodegradable material. The basket itself is reusable.
- 3 Energy efficient light bulbs – last 10 times longer and use 25% of the energy of incandescent light bulbs.
- 1 32 oz. all purpose cleaner with baking soda– from Global Balance, a local eco-friendly company whose products are 100% biodegradable
- 1 32 oz laundry liquid (fragrance free) for 16 loads – from Global Balance
- 1 16 oz. liquid moisturizing hand & body soap – from Global Balance
- 2 reusable grocery bags – made from recycled plastic bottles
- 1 Surge Protector
- Polar “Save the Planet” reusable water bottle.
- 2 Outlet Gasket insulator packages – prevents cold air from entering through outlets
- 2 packages of herbal tea
- Energy Saver Book - provides 100 energy savings ideas and related safety tips
- A complimentary membership to The Green Decade/Newton. - $25 + value. Discounts with GD/N card from local vendors.
Baskets are a project of Green Decade/Newton and are assembled by the Barry Price Center in Newton, MA. The Price Center supports people with developmental disabilities.
Books....some suggestions from members and friends
- Grow Your Own Tree Hugger: 101 activities to teach your child how to live green, Wendy Rosenoff
- 365 Penguins, Jean-Luc Fromental (Gr. K-4th)
- The Down-To-Earth Guide to Global Warming, Laurie David and Cambria Gordon (Gr. 3-7)
- The Last Polar Bears, Harry Horse (Gr. 4 and up)
- The North Pole Was Here, Andrew Revkin (Gr. 6 and up)
Plants & Food
- The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Foods, Michael Pollan
- The Botany of Desire: A Plant's-Eye View of the World, Michael Pollan
- Eating Animals, Jonathan Safran Foer
- Our Choice: A Plan to Solve the Climate Crisis, Al Gore
- The End of the Long Summer: Why We Must Remake Our Civilization to Survive on a Volatile Earth, Dianne Dumanoski
- Hot, Flat, and Crowded: Why We Need a Green Revolution--and How It Can Renew America, Thomas L. Friedman
- Plan B 4.0: Mobilizing to Save Civilization, Lester R. Brown
- Earth the Sequel: The Race to Reinvent Energy and Stop Global Warming, Miriam Horn and Fred Krupp
- Our Planet, Edward Humes
Green Jobs and Economy
- The Green Collar Economy, Van Jones
- Building the Green Economy: Success Stories from the Grassroots, Kevin Danaher
- 75 Green Businesses You Can Start to Make Money and Make A Difference, Glenn Croston, Ph. D.
- Green Jobs: A Guide to Eco-Friendly Employment, A. Bronwyn Llewellyn
- Great Jobs for Environmental Studies Majors, Julie DeGalan
- Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed, Jared Diamond
Send us YOUR suggestions for "green books" to email@example.com!